Beta XI Omega Chapter
Phi Theta Kappa Mission Statement
The mission of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize academic achievement of college students and provide opportunities for them to grow as scholars and leaders.
About Phi Theta Kappa
Established in 1918, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society serves to recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and provide opportunities for individual growth and development through scholarship, leadership, service, and fellowship. In 1929, the American Association of Community Colleges recognized Phi Theta Kappa as the official honor society for two-year colleges. Today, Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in American higher education with more than 2 million members and 1,200 chapters located in all 50 of the United States, U.S. territories, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Germany, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, United Arab Emirates and Palau. The South Louisiana Community College Chapter has been officially designated as the Beta Xi Omega Chapter.
Primary Benefits of Membership
- Access to $37 million in scholarship opportunities for members only
- Opportunity to develop research and leadership skills by participating in Honors in Action programming
- Networking with nearly 3 million fellow scholars and servant leaders on more than 1,285 campuses worldwide
- Opportunity to be published in Phi Theta Kappa's anthology, Nota Bene
New Member Qualifications
- Must be enrolled as a student at South Louisiana Community College
- Must have completed at least 12 semester hours at SLCC
- Must have a cumulative G.P.A of 3.0 or higher
- Must be dedicated to academic achievement and community service
Continuing Active Member Qualifications
- Must maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Must abide by the SLCC Student Code of Conduct and actively represent the values and mission of Phi Theta Kappa
PTK Honors Programming Schedule, 2017-2018
- August 28-September 1, 2017: Fall Completion Week
- October 9-13, 2017: Fall Scholarship Week
- October 23-27, 2017: Fall Recruitment Week
- November 6, 2017: Fall Induction Ceremony
- January 22-26: Spring Completion Week
- March 1: Beta Xi Omega First Annual Honors Symposium
- March 26-29, 2018: Spring Scholarship and Recruitment Week
- April 9, 2018: Spring Induction Ceremony
PTK Honors Symposium Presentations
- Shauntell Journet, "Becoming a Student (Again)"
- Yelda Bakirci, "Becoming an Artist": Part 1; Part 2; Part 3
- Tandra Metz, "Becoming Mute"
- Breonjae Pattum, "Hair and Health"
- Ashlynn Gary, "Cosmetics and Colorism"
- Laura Brasseaux, "Geaux Vote" (speech here)
- Ashley Nonette, "Stay Woke"
PTK Advisor, 2017-2018
Are you already a member of Phi Theta Kappa? Be sure that you're part of SLCC's Phi Theta Kappa Outlook group! Email email@example.com to be added to the group and receive important SLCC PTK announcements!